So far the grow has been operating for about 6 days. Seeds went into wet/warm soil starter containers on Day #1 and we had sprouts by day 4. Each day since we’ve seen growth and new sprouting. So far ~10 seeds out of 15 have sprouted. They look a bit “reachy” but I have no experience so who the hell knows …
- 15 small germination containers with soil base
- Warming mat w/ thermostat controller set at 85F
- Wet paper towel laid over the containers to retain humidity
- Paper towel removed as soon as sprouting was observed
- 2inch plastic dome on germination tray to retain humidity
- No lights
Day 5 Modifications:
- Installed a seed/germination-specific T5 florescent grow lamp & stand
- T5 light running 24x7 (have not set up the timer yet)
- Replaced the 2inch plastic humidity dome with a much larger one
Biggest lesson was realizing that a seed/germination specific T5 light should have been purchased upfront, they really do need a different light setup when germinating.
The other minor lesson learned was how fast the sprouts grow. Good thing we had a larger humidity dome available because by Day #5 some of the seedlings were hitting the top of the 2in dome! Glad we started with 2in though as it likely did a better job at moisture and humidity control.
Need to get a timer on the T5 light. I think I’m going to try an 18:6 hour cycle for this phase
Outgrowing the 2in dome
Larger dome in place